Monday, June 2, 2014

Nothing like a panic attack to change things up...

Panic Attack- a sudden episode of intense fear that triggers severe physical reactions when there is no real danger or apparent cause. – Mayo Clinic


            The first panic attack I remember having, I was twenty-four years old. I was in a grocery store when it hit- I started sweating, felt dizzy, and thought I couldn’t breathe. I remember gulping for air like a fish out of water. Having never experienced anything like it, I didn’t know what to do. I remember leaving my cart, and going to sit in my car. I laid the seat all the way back, and waited for this horrifying feeling to go away.  I was so terrified, yet somewhere in the fog I remember thinking I would catch my breath after the next, then the next. Finally the feeling subsided, and I drove home. Anyone who knows me well knows the year I turned twenty-four was one of the hardest years I’ve ever been through.

            I tried to write it off as a one-time thing, sweep the feelings I had under the rug and forget. I had myself convinced it had never happened, until it happened again when I was twenty-six. I was just about to graduate university and reality was rushing towards me faster than I could handle. I tried to act like it was just common anxiety, just like every other college senior. Then I had another one, again in public. This time I couldn’t run to my car, I had to ride out the attack on the sideline of a rugby match. I gritted my teeth and hands so tightly, my jaw ached for a week and my fingernails cut into my hands.

            I went to talk to someone, thank you to my university for providing those kinds of services. The person I talked to was still in training, and I remember her asking me, “Just tell me a bit about why you think you needed to come here.” So I laid out a readers digest version of the last few years, and told her about these experiences I’d had. Next she said something, which most likely was very unprofessional, but endeared her to me all the same, “Holy shit- it’s a wonder you’re walking and talking right now. I’m glad you came to see me.” I continued to see her once a week until I graduated, telling her all about me and about these odd episodes I had. She put a name to them for me- Panic Attacks.

            You see I’m very good at putting my better feelings on display. I’m an extrovert, so people assume I’m happy all the time. Amongst family and friends I’m considered a reliable person, not prone to all kinds of drama, (just the usual amount. Come on, I am human dudes). I felt and still feel pressure to not let anyone know when I’m having a bad day, week, or month. She explained that most likely this was leading to the panic attacks I was having. They happened when I was under a great deal of stress, and felt like I couldn’t tell anyone for fear of letting them down. I remember reacting badly to this. I mean I knew I had a generalized anxiety of crowds, but plenty of people do. I also remember thinking not everyone had this issue, so there must be something wrong with me.

            After my sessions with her, I felt so much lighter. I graduated college, left a long-term relationship that was unhealthy, and started a new part of my life. Of course I had boughts of doubt and fear- I hadn’t been single in almost ten years, was living on my own, and starting a new job. I was meeting so many new people, dating and for the most part really enjoying everything. I thought I wouldn’t have to deal with one of those attacks again; I was going to be ok.

            My body had other ideas. It was New Years Eve going into 2012, and I was in Vegas with my new guy and friends. I was so happy, not a care in the world. We were in a club, and my boyfriend had gone off to the bathroom leaving me with my friend and her fiancé. All of the sudden, I felt it coming- this time my hands started tingling, then the sweating, then the breathing. I grabbed my best friend and told her I thought I was having an attack. Bless her, she took control, finding a wall for me to put my back against and when my boyfriend came back, told him we needed to get out of there. I was so embarrassed. I hadn’t told any of them I’d had these before. I had to explain to them the next day, mortified they would judge me. Of course they loved me, so they didn’t.

            This time I took them far more seriously, learning everything from relaxation exercises, controlled breathing, to trying out meditation. Honestly, sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. I have to remind myself during one that it can’t last. I’m not dying, if I pass out I’ll keep breathing, and I’ll be ok. I’ll be ok. I’ve had a few more over the last couple of years, usually triggered by feelings of being overwhelmed, (which is saying something- has anyone seen what my life is like?!).

            You’re probably wondering why I’m talking about any of this. I remember feeling alone when I first found out about these attacks. No one I knew suffered from them, (this was ignorance. Some of the most important people in my life do). So my thought is- sharing is caring. It does not mean I am weak. It means sometimes, my body has a moment. For me it’s a great reminder that I am not in control of all things. There are moments when I don’t have a grasp on any of it; things are completely out of my hands. Every time I have one, it really is all kinds of scary. The cool thing is, I’m always ok on the other side of these moments. Anyone who may think less of me for having them can get bent; they are a part of me. I’d love to never have another one for as long as I live, but I can’t predict that.


            We are not defined by moments like these. Moments when we are the furthest in the world from being in control of a damn thing. Coming from someone who thrives off control, these are probably one of the best things for me. Twisted, right? They remind me to let go, and it’s ok. I’ve said it more than once while writing this, and I’ll say it again- I’m ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment